Hyundai has unveiled the U.S.-market version of its convention-breaking Kona Electric crossover at the New York Auto Show. Kona Electric rides on an all-new CUV platform and is Hyundai’s first compact electric crossover for the U.S. market, appealing to consumers with active, eco-focused lifestyles of all kinds. Kona Electric’s exterior styling features voluminous, aggressive body styling complemented by a low and wide stance for great looks and confident handling in a variety of urban and adventure-oriented driving environments.
It joins Hyundai’s successful new Kona, Tucson and Santa Fe in a full line-up of Hyundai crossovers for the U.S. market. 2019 Kona Electric models will be produced in Ulsan, Korea and available in the fourth quarter of 2018, with initial availability in California and subsequently in the ZEV-focused states in the western and northeastern regions of the U.S. market.
“Our new Kona Electric crossover is a stylish and efficient compact CUV, tailored to the needs of customers who pursue eco-focused active lifestyles requiring generous range,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president of Product, Corporate and Digital Planning, Hyundai Motor America.
“We’re confident it will set new standards for the electric-propelled compact CUV segment, with outstanding range flexibility, appealing design, cutting-edge connectivity and class-leading available safety features.” he added.
2019 Kona Electric Highlights
- Compact electric CUV segment-leading 250-mile estimated range
- Bold, fresh design elements with extroverted color options
- LED headlight, taillight and daytime running light illumination signature
- High-efficiency 201 horsepower (150 kW), 291 lb.-ft. electric motor powertrain
- High-voltage 64 kWh lithium-ion battery
- Standard floating touchscreen with Apple CarPlay™/Android Auto™ capability
- Hyundai Smart Sense (HSS):
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
- Driver Attention Warning
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Blind-Spot Collision Warning
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist
- High Beam Assist
- Premium technology availability:
- 8-inch Navigation System
- Shift-by-wire center console drive controls with additional lower storage
- Next generation Blue Link® connected car system
- Heads-up Display (with active pop-up display screen)
- Rain-sensing Wipers
- Qi Wireless-device charging
Kona Electric offers a powerful, efficient electric drivetrain and a stylish, roomy interior. A whole host of advanced safety features are also available including Lane Keeping Assist, Blind-Spot Collision Warning, Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist, Parking Distance Warning and Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection.
For the full press release on the Hyundai Kona, click here: 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric Recalibratesco CUV Formula with an Impressive 250 Miles of Estimated Range