There has never been a sports car like the XL Sport concept being showcased by Volkswagen in a world premiere at the Paris Motor Show. A car that uncompromisingly furthers the development of the lightweight sports car in its very essence. A 270 km/h driving machine based on the XL1, the most efficient car of all time. Efficiency and emotion compellingly recombined. At the rear of the XL Sport sits one of the finest achievements in engine technology – the V2 adapted from the new Ducati 1199 Superleggera, the world’s most powerful two-cylinder motorcycle.
Like the XL1, of which only 250 units will be built, the Superleggera is also being manufactured in a limited edition (500 units), in a process that embraces hand fabrication and high-precision industrial manufacturing technologies alike. The XL1 and the Superleggera, two icons of lightweight carbon and magnesium design technology, thus unite to create a unique sports car. With the XL Sport, the group brands Volkswagen and Ducati impressively demonstrate how high-tech developments can lead to synergies between brands and be used by both parties as modules for new concepts.
Ten key facts about the world premiere of the XL Sport:
- The XL Sport was developed on the basis of the XL1.
- The vehicle is propelled by the world’s most powerful two-cylinder engine.
- The Ducati V2 engine generates 147 kW / 200 PS.
- Aerodynamics of the XL Sport are better than those of any other sports car.
- XL Sport’s 200 PS sufficient to achieve 270 km/h. A record.
- The Ducati Superleggera V2 engine revs all the way to 11,000 rpm.
- The high-tech engine features titanium connecting rods and magnesium alloys.
- Ducati engine is fitted with legendary desmodromic valves.
- Completely new chassis reveals layout typical for motor sports.
- Major design aspects have been developed completely from scratch.
via: Official PR